Where exactly are the homes located? We are approximately 4 miles East of Destin Commons and 1 ½ miles west of San Destin Resort. We are one mile East of the Whale’s Tail Restaurant. If you drew a line due south towards the Gulf from the Silver Sands Factory outlet mall, the line would just about cross our location. We have an aerial view of our immediate at the following link
Will you rent for less than a week? We do weekly minimum rentals on a Saturday Arrival/Departure basis. Occassionally, we will make an exception in Fall or Winter.
Do the homes have beach chairs and umbrellas? For each of our homes, Gulf Splendor I and Gulf Splendor II, we provide at no additional cost 6 beach chairs and 3 umbrellas used exclusively by our guests that are set up and taken down each day (weather permitting) between March 1 and October 31.
Do we need to bring towels, soaps, kitchen utensils, etc? Our homes are fully equipped with clean linens, towels, starter soaps and all of the kitchen utensils. We do not provide beach towels.
Are the homes equipped with BBQ grills? Yes, each home is equipped with an outdoor gas BBQ grill for use during your stay.
We have a small house trained family pet, do you make exceptions in your NO PET policy? Although we understand that pets are often times important members of the family, there are no exceptions to our NO PET policy.
What if we have a problem during our stay, is there someone local to call? Yes, we will provide you contact information for our property manager who will address any issues that may come up during your stay.
Do we need to clean the home? No, the home will be cleaned prior to your arrival and after your departure. We will provide a check-list of minor things to do prior to checking out and we simply ask that you treat our homes the way you would treat your own homes.
Does Gulf Splendor I have access to a community pool? There is no community pool available to either home. Gulf Splendor II does have a pool.
Can Gulf Splendor I guests use the pool at Gulf Splendor II? No, this pool is connected to the deck of Gulf Splendor II and not available to Gulf Splendor I guests.
Where is the pool located at Gulf Splendor II and how large is it? The pool occupies a portion of the deck on the Gulf side of the home as you exit the family room through the sliding glass doors. It is approximately 6 ft wide by 12 ft long and about 3 ft deep. It also has bench seating around the entire perimeter of the pool making it relaxing for adults as well as fun for the children.
Where is the hot tub located at Gulf Splendor I? It is located on the ground level on the Gulf side of the home with a view of the gulf.
We hear that some of the beaches in the Destin area are seriously eroded and very narrow. What are the beach conditions at Gulf Splendor I/II? In the Spring of 2006, our beach was "Renourished". This $27M project increased the height and size of the beach with pure white sand dredged from just outside the East aPass. In a word, the beach in our area is simply outstanding.
How close to the Beach is Gulf Splendor II? Gulf Splendor II is located on the gulf side of Open Gulf St , with no roads to cross to the beach. It shares the same private beach access path as Gulf Splendor I and is approximately 80 feet to the beach (about the distance from home plate to first base for baseball fans).
Does Gulf Splendor I block the view of Gulf Splendor II? Partially, yes. However, Gulf Splendor II is built to the west side of our lot (right side looking at the Gulf) whereas Gulf Splendor I is built to the east side of the lot (left side looking at the Gulf). This leaves an open lane of views for Gulf Splendor II between Gulf Splendor I and a new home that is under construction on the lot next to us. This construction was started late Aug 06. The exact finish date is uncertain.
Do the homes have accommodations for babies? Yes; both homes are each equipped with one “Pack ‘N Carry” and one high chair. An additional crib can be rented locally with delivery, set-up and pickup.
One of our guests is confined to a wheelchair or has limited mobility, are the homes accessible? Gulf Splendor I has an elevator that is accessed at the ground level and makes the entire home and the outside lower level BBQ area accessible. Assistance will be needed to move to the decks as there is an 8 inch height difference between the living area and the deck level. Gulf Splendor II has steps up to the main level but does have a ground level bedroom that may be better suited for guests with “step issues”.
Are there restaurants and shops within walking distance? There are some restaurants and shops within a 15 minute walk. There are many restaurants and shops within 1-3 miles by car.
What airport is most convenient to Destin? The short answer is yes, near Niceville, Florida about 25 minutes away (use VPS as the airport coded). Pensacola Airport is also a potential but is 90 minutes away.
We love both homes but we are trying to decide between Gulf Splendor I and Gulf Splendor II; what are the main differences? Both homes are equally popular. Here are some differences that may help your decision.
1) Gulf Splendor I is Gulf front with nothing between you and the water while Gulf Splendor II has a limited Gulf View, and mostly obstructed by Gulf Splendor I and the home on the adjacent lot.
2) Gulf Splendor II has private baths in each of the 4 bedrooms. Gulf Splendor I has one bedroom that is very small, no bathroom with a privacy curtain.
3) Gulf Splendor I has a spectacular master suite occupying the entire fourth floor, fully equipped with two full baths, wet bar and sitting area. Three of the bedrooms at Gulf Splendor I open to private decks. Gulf Splendor I has two third level Gulf front bedrooms that are a bit larger than the bedrooms at Gulf Splendor II. Gulf Splendor II may be able to accommodate more guests, particularly with those with small children, as the bunk room can sleep 4 in the full size bunks. Gulf Splendor I is generally decorated and furnished with nicer touches, although Gulf Splendor II is very attractive.
4) Gulf Splendor I has an elevator making it more accessible to people that have mobility challenges.
5) Gulf Splendor II has a pool; Gulf Splendor I has a hot tub. Gulf Splendor II has better parking if you have multiple cars. Its parking is three cars wide whereas Gulf Splendor I has a long single lane drive that can require some car juggling if multiple cars are frequently used.